Heya, Sami here. If you are in one of my promos, scroll to the bottom to find social media graphics and copywriting. Don’t forget to join my group Pinterest board and add your Urban Fantasy books.
Get your promo on with these resources!
Group giveaways, cross-promotion, and collaborative marketing are the most cost-efficient ways for an author to build their visibility and mailing list… if they are done in good faith by all participants. What does this mean? It’s a simple DO and DON’T.
- DO: Share to your mailing list and social media with the promo picture, suggested copywriting, and tracking link which can be found in your promo profile on Bookfunnel/ProlificWorks/StoryOrigin.
- DON’T: Slap a bare link on a dusty corner of your website that gets 0 traffic.
I try to make this easy for group cross-promo participants by creating two sharable graphics and copywriting. Scroll down the page for my current promos and giveaways.
Even if you don’t have a large mailing list or social media following, a good faith effort to spread the word is required. You can use hashtags and keywords to boost the signal even without a lot of followers. A good rule of thumb is to use fewer hashtags on Twitter (1-3) while using more on Instagram (6-9). Hashtags are irrelevant on Facebook. If you are confused, I have a few examples and resources to help you out. I am not an expert but you can get a rough idea of what you can do.
- Example Newsletter Blast: https://preview.mailerlite.com/p7f7p4
- Example Facebook Post: https://www.facebook.com/samivalentine/photos/a.115585893135794/126825802011803/
- Example: Instagram Post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2BSzKEnlZW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
- More author hashtag examples here: https://kindlepreneur.com/hashtags-for-writers/
Note: I don’t recommend being EVERYWHERE, just go where your target readers hang out. To use a silly example, a YA writer shouldn’t be advertising on LinkedIn.
- Newsletter Ninja: this is a quick guide to crafting a newsletter that people want to read. https://www.amazon.com/Newsletter-Ninja-Become-Author-Mailing-ebook/dp/B07C6J8HP9
- Confused about using social media for authors, check out this article: https://kindlepreneur.com/social-media-for-writers/
- Guerrilla Publishing by Creativindie.com has a useful guide on DIY marketing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/guerrillapublishing/
- 20Booksto50k has a golden list of must-read articles in its pinned posts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/20Booksto50k/
- Promoting a book on Instagram: 15 author examples https://insights.bookbub.com/authors-running-fantastic-book-promotions-on-instagram/
- Twitter mistakes too many authors make: https://insights.bookbub.com/authors-running-fantastic-book-promotions-on-instagram/
- Hootsuite’s guide to Instagram: https://blog.hootsuite.com/instagram-hashtags/
- My mini case study on how to get your first mailing list subscribers: https://samivalentine.com/2019/09/05/getting-your-first-mailing-list-subscribers/
- My launch checklist here: https://samivalentine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Launch_List.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0ENNZVLYkUVDIj40xKWPKzBN5m5olzdu7K7JTLS84u1zXCXbsZ3LO4AXo